Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Does sugar cause wrinkles? (and other superstitions)

I like to think I base all my nutritional beliefs on science, but I don't. It's hard to admit, but that's the truth. The most powerful unfounded belief I have is that sugar causes wrinkles. At the time I heard it that idea floated, I thought there was research behind it. I have since looked and can't find anything conclusive.

Yet the paranoia remains...

There's plenty of reason to be paranoid about sugar in our modern diet. Diabetes is an epidemic. Damage done to a diabetic's body by sugar can be very disfiguring.   Some diabetics loose toes, feet, or eyesight in their fight with the disease. Sugar can do horrible things sometimes.

Sugar can also make us overweight. This can lead to heart disease, joint stress, and just plain tiredness. It can also lead to wardrobe challenges if we don't know how to wear the extra weight well.  But wrinkles? Will sugar really give me wrinkles?

Why choose between feathers and bow?
Get them both!
My daughters tell me that the sun is the #1 cause of wrinkles and try to get me to wear sunscreen more often. I try wear it more, but sunscreen breaks me out. I think I'll just buy a hat.

I found a number of expensive spa sites who say that "adrenal fatigue" is the #1 cause of wrinkles.   Adrenal fatigue is supposedly caused by a hectic lifestyle, stress, and hormonal imbalances.  I can't find collaboration for the adrenal fatigue claim from any site without something to sell, so...  moving on.

 I have read studies that say smoking give you wrinkles. I have a friend who smokes but doesn't eat sugar (real or fake.) She has a nasty cough, but no wrinkles, and she's over 40.

Hmmm... I think I'll hang on to this superstition for a little longer.  And wear a hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment