Saturday, February 9, 2013

Too much choice... and how do you say "no" to happiness?

My father is a pediatrician.  (I know!  House calls for the kids is great!)  He told me once that your body runs three basic systems, but it can only run two at time very well.
  • Critical system - heart beating, breathing, brain functionl; aka, the stuff that keeps you alive.
  • Digestive system - turning your food into energy
  • Physical activity - aka, everything you decide to do.
Considering that the first system HAS to run all the time, the other two compete.  Tired after a big meal?  This is why.  Remember the old adage not to swim right after eating or you'd get a tummy ache?  This is why.

Now I have no proof for this, but I do have personal experience.  When I eat something I like, other things just kind of fade into the background. 
Stress, to do lists, worry, anger, even mid-life meloncoly - they all just kind of fade.  They don't necessarily go away, but they do fade in intensity.  And I enjoy the experience of eating.  It's nice!

Maybe this has something to do with what my father told me.  Maybe the digestive system takes priority right before the first bite.  Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  All I know is that eating something nice can BE very nice.

Is it any wonder with so many yummy choices around that are quick and easy and soooo delicious that we eat what's bad for us?  It tastes like happiness. 

Sometimes, it's the only happiness we feel all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment