Thursday, February 28, 2013

Simple lunch for one - EGG AND TOAST

I bought my little non-stick eggpan on a whim.  I use it almost every day!  I use it to cook fast little lunches.  My favorite lunch is variations on the basic classic Egg & Toast.

Here is one version:

On medium heat (5), cover the bottom of the pan with olive oil.  (I know - it's a non-stick pan.  But I love olive oil.)

When it is hot, put in some chopped mushroom and chopped green onions, enough to more than cover the bottom of the pan.  The mushrooms will cook down a little.



Stir occassionally, and while you wait, pop some whole wheat toast into the toaster. 


When the mushrooms look almost done, crack an egg into the pan.  Salt just a little, and pepper it.



Turn the heat down to med-low (3) and cover the pan with a small plate.  (That's my toast, staying warm.)



It will need to cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how welldone you want the yolk to get.  If you like it cooked through, leave the plate on until the egg whites turn white.  I like mine runny, so I will flip the whole concoction to get the top cooked faster without cooking the yolk.  Do this after the bottom of the egg cooks, but the top is not done yet.  It takes practice.  A small spatula does better than a fork.  (I am lucky the yolk didn't break on this attempt.)



I let it cook for about 30 seconds more (until I figure the whites are done) and then slide it all out, oil and all, onto my toast.    Salt to taste. 



If this lunch is too small for you, add some fruit or veggies.  This dish goes really well with tomatoes or sauteed greens and onions.  Oranges, apples and bananas are always a safe side bet.  And... you can go for second piece of toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment